Hemorrhoid is a very common disease all around the world. This comes with severe pain, stinging, and discomfort in the anal region. Let’s know about the symptoms and treatment procedure of this disease.
What is hemorrhoid?
Hemorrhoid is generally swollen veins and blood vessels at the lower rectum and anal canal. These veins get swollen up due to pressure on those. This pressure may come from constipation, strain while defecation, hard stool, or even by the intercourse through the anus.
Based on these swollen veins, the hemorrhoid is four types:
- Internal hemorrhoid: These are not visible from the outside. These are found at the inner side of the lower rectum and normally painless. The first symptom might be rectal bleeding with stool.
- External hemorrhoid: This type is the swollen veins outside the anus and has severe pain with itching and discomfort.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoid: When swollen veins of internal hemorrhoids bulge out of the anus is known as prolapsed hemorrhoid. Normally, internal hemorrhoids are painless but prolapsed hemorrhoid has severe pain.
- Thrombosed hemorrhoid: This type of hemorrhoid is clotted hemorrhoids that have no blood circulation due to a clot. These are most common in the case of external hemorrhoids.
There can be several causes behind hemorrhoids. But the main problem is having bad habits.
Causes of hemorrhoids:
- Stressing too much during bowel movements.
- Chronic diarrhoea.
- Anal intercourse.
- Eating a low fiber diet.
- Drinking less water.
Hemorrhoids or piles have several distinct symptoms. You can easily diagnose this disease if you know those symptoms.
Symptoms of hemorrhoids:
- Stinging and irritation at the anal opening.
- Bleeding while defecating.
- Severe pain.
Diagnosis of hemorrhoids:
Normally hemorrhoids can be diagnosed only by seeing the lumps and swelling around the anus. But to be sure, doctors may use some diagnostic tests. Those are:
- Physical examination.
- Digital rectal examination.
Now come to the treatment of this disease. There are both surgical and non-surgical treatments suggested by physicians. It depends on the condition of your hemorrhoids.
Treatments of hemorrhoid:
Treatment of hemorrhoid includes:
- Non-surgical procedure:
- Rubber band ligation.
- Surgical procedure:
- Hemorrhoid stapling.
Hemorrhoids can be cured by home treatment also. Some natural ingredients can cure hemorrhoids overnight. These can heal the pain, discomfort, and itchy feeling in the anal region.
Home treatment of hemorrhoids:
- Warm bath: A lukewarm bath is very helpful to relieve pain as it relaxes the anal sphincter and muscles. Take warm water in the bathtub and soak your anus for 15 minutes. Try this every day for a better experience.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera jell can be used in case of both external and internal hemorrhoids. You can refrigerate the jell to avoid pain.
- Ice cubes: Hemorrhoids mainly caused by the swelling of rectal veins. Cold can shrink those. Take some ice cubes in a bag and sit on it for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat this two or three times a day.
- Witch Hazel: It has a natural remedy to cure hemorrhoids for its astringent property. Make a witch hazel solution and soak cotton balls in it. Apply it to the hemorrhoids.
- Coconut Oil: It has anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-bacterial properties. Just apply coconut oil to the affected area by using your finger. Try this three times a day.
- Garlic: Boil some garlic in water and you will get a solution. Soak some cotton balls and apply them to the hemorrhoid swelling area.
- Black tea: Black tea is very well known for its tannic acid to relieve inflammation. Just make some black tea without sugar and let it cool up to being lukewarm. Then apply it three times a day with cotton balls.
- Apple cider vinegar: This one is also a great use in case of comforting piles of pain. The natural crude vinegar helps to shrink the blood vessels and tissue of the anal area. To apply it, take a cotton ball and soak it into apple cider vinegar and apply directly on hemorrhoids.
- Use alleviating wipes: After defecation, we usually use toilet tissue to wipe out. But toilet tissue is rough and may irritate in case of piles. So you can use some soothing wipes which are soft and enriched with anti hemorrhoid ingredients like which hazel or aloe vera. Make sure this does not contain alcohol.
- Do not sit, squat: Squatting is helpful rather than sitting while defecating. Due to the anorectal angle of the human body, squatting ease the normal bowel movement through the rectum. So make a habit of squatting.
- Try stool softeners: Since constipation is a great cause behind piles, if we can make stole soft, then it may reduce pain while defecating. There are several stool softeners on the market. Get the right one according to your doctor.
- Drink a lot of water: Water softens stool naturally. If the stool is soft, there requires less pressure to defecate and therefore, the chance of getting hemorrhoid will reduce also.
- Eat fiber-enriched foods: Fibre enriched foods absorb water from digestive tracks and soften the stool. Thus, reduces the risk of hemorrhoids.
- Do not fight the urge: When you need to go to the toilet, just go. Do not skip it forcefully. If you do so, stool loses more water in the rectum and becomes hard, and causes constipation which is a prime reason behind hemorrhoid.
- Make habit of regular defecation: Try to make a regular schedule of bowel defecation. This will free you from constipation. Your body will be ready to defecate when the time comes to do it and this will go easy.
- Do not stress hard: If you feel a problem while defecating, do not push harder. Just try again later. If you stress hard, then the soft tissue at the anal canal will be stretched and will cause hemorrhoids.
These home treatments mentioned above are very much effective in the case of hemorrhoids. If you follow these, you will see an overnight change in your hemorrhoid problem. Try to develop the habits mentioned here, this will allow you an easy bowel movement and defecation and will reduce the risk of hemorrhoids.