Hemorrhoids are very common with extreme pain and itching around the anal region. This is caused by swelling of blood vessels, mainly veins of the lower rectum and anus.
What is hemorrhoid?
Hemorrhoid is a clinical condition where veins at the lower rectum and anal canal get swollen due to pressure. This pressure may be caused by bowel movements or constipation.
There are several types of hemorrhoids according to the condition and position of swollen veins.
- Internal hemorrhoid: These are not visible from the outside. These are found at the inner side of the lower rectum and normally painless. The first symptom might be rectal bleeding with stool.
- External hemorrhoid: This type is the swollen veins outside the anus and has severe pain with itching and discomfort.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoid: When swollen veins of internal hemorrhoids bulge out of the anus is known as prolapsed hemorrhoid. Normally, internal hemorrhoids are painless but prolapsed hemorrhoid has severe pain.
- Thrombosed hemorrhoid: This type of hemorrhoid is clotted hemorrhoids that have no blood circulation due to a clot. These are most common in the case of external hemorrhoids.
Here in this article, we will discuss about external hemorrhoids only.
We know, external hemorrhoids are normally found at the anal opening and this one is really painful especially when it becomes thrombosed i.e. when blood clots inside of it. There are some distinct causes behind external hemorrhoids.
Causes of hemorrhoids:
- Stressing too much during bowel movements.
- Chronic diarrhoea.
- Anal intercourse.
- Eating a low fiber diet.
- Drinking less water.
An external hemorrhoid is an asymptomatic disease. And this one is very much similar to other types of hemorrhoids.
Common symptoms of external hemorrhoid:
- Stinging and irritation at the anal opening.
- Bleeding while defecating.
- Severe pain.
Diagnosis of external hemorrhoid:
As an external hemorrhoid is basically placed outside of the anal opening, this can be diagnosed very easily. The diagnosis processes are:
- Physical examination.
- Digital Rectal Examination.
The treatment procedure of external hemorrhoids:
If you are diagnosed with external hemorrhoids, then your doctor will follow a definite sequence of treatment according to the necessity. We are presenting the treatments below:
- Medication: If you have very mild pain or little irritation due to piles, your doctor may suggest cream, suppositories, pads, or ointments which contain lidocaine and hydrocortisone to temporarily decrease the pain and swelling.
- Non-surgical procedure: In the case of both internal and external hemorrhoids, the doctor may go for non-surgical treatment if the patient does not want to have surgery. These treatments are:
- Rubber band ligation: Here, the base of the hemorrhoid is closed by adding one or two rubber bands around it. So the blood circulation stops and within some days, the swollen part will fall as it does not get nutrition from blood.
- Sclerotherapy: In this treatment, the doctor gives an injection to shrink hemorrhoid.
- Coagulation: Here doctors use infrared or laser light to clot the blood inside of hemorrhoid, thus it shrinks and hardens.
- Surgical procedure: If the patient has consent then doctors would do surgery to remove hemorrhoids. There will be local anesthesia used for surgery. These surgeries are:
- Hemorrhoid staple.
But is not always necessary to do surgery or to go to a doctor for hemorrhoids treatment. Nature has enriched us with her pure healing ingredients as hemorrhoid treatments. Let’s know how you can cure external hemorrhoids at home.
Home remedies for external hemorrhoids:
- Warm bath: A lukewarm bath is very helpful to relieve pain as it relaxes the anal sphincter and muscles. Take warm water in the bathtub and soak your anus for 15 minutes. Try this every day for a better experience.
- Ice cubes: Hemorrhoids mainly caused by the swelling of rectal veins. Cold can shrink those. Take some ice cubes in a bag and sit on it for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat this two or three times a day.
- Witch Hazel: It has a natural remedy to cure hemorrhoids for its astringent property. Make a witch hazel solution and soak cotton balls in it. Apply it to the hemorrhoids.
- Coconut Oil: It has anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-bacterial properties. Just apply coconut oil to the affected area by using your finger. Try this three times a day.
- Garlic: Boil some garlic in water and you will get a solution. Soak some cotton balls and apply them to the hemorrhoid swelling area.
- Black tea: Black tea is very well known for its tannic acid to relieve inflammation. Just make some black tea without sugar and let it cool up to being lukewarm. Then apply it three times a day with cotton balls.
- Apple cider vinegar: This one is also a great use in case of comforting piles of pain. The natural crude vinegar helps to shrink the blood vessels and tissue of the anal area. To apply it, take a cotton ball and soak it into apple cider vinegar and apply directly on hemorrhoids.
- Do not sit, squat: Squatting is helpful rather than sitting while defecating. Due to the anorectal angle of the human body, squatting ease the normal bowel movement through the rectum. So make a habit of squatting.
- Try stool softeners: Since constipation is a great cause behind piles, if we can make stole soft, then it may reduce pain while defecating. There are several stool softeners on the market. Get the right one according to your doctor.
- Drink a lot of water: Water softens stool naturally. If the stool is soft, there requires less pressure to defecate and therefore, the chance of getting hemorrhoid will reduce also.
- Eat fiber-enriched foods: Fibre enriched foods absorb water from digestive tracks and soften the stool. Thus, reduces the risk of hemorrhoids.
- Do not fight the urge: When you need to go to the toilet, just go. Do not skip it forcefully. If you do so, stool loses more water in the rectum and becomes hard, and causes constipation which is a prime reason behind hemorrhoid.
- Do not stress hard: If you feel a problem while defecating, do not push harder. Just try again later. If you stress hard, then the soft tissue at the anal canal will be stretched and will cause hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are very discomforting disease with severe pain and bleeding. Try the remedies mentioned above. This will cure external hemorrhoids permanently.